CAREY BRETSCH, PE
PRESIDENT & CO-FOUNDER
As Civil Design Inc’s co-founder and President, Carey holds a bachelor’s and master’s degree in civil engineering from South Dakota State University. He is predominantly involved in marketing for the company and mentoring the Engineers in Training. Carey’s tenacious career has established innovation and understanding in his work with successful projects in North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Texas, and Minnesota. His diverse project expertise includes roads, bridges, subdivisions, sports complexes, parking lots, commercial sites, drainage, hydraulic analysis, and river stabilization.
- Licensed professional engineer in SD, MN, IA, NE, IN, WI, & ND
- BS, Civil Engineering, South Dakota State University, 1981
- MS, Civil Engineering, South Dakota State University, 1990
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Section representative to the Region 7 Board of Governors
- Past SD Section President
- Past Practitioner Advisor for the SDSU Student Chapter.
- Recipient of “Friend of ASCE” by SDSU Student Chapter in 2011
- Recipient of Outstanding Service awards in 1986, 1988, and 1989.
- Past President of the Section and Eastern Branch.
- Chosen “Outstanding Young Civil Engineer” by the Eastern Branch of the South Dakota Section of ASCE in 1989.
- Brookings Chamber of Commerce - Board of Directors & President 2014
- Structural Engineering Institute (SEI) of the ASCE
- Transportation and Development Institute (T&DI) of the ASCE
- American Railway Engineering and Maintenance of Way Association
- American Short Line and Regional Railroad Association (ASLRRA)
- North American Maintenance Railway Club (NAMRC)
- American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC)
- Former board member of Brookings Rotary Club